I good colleague of mine sent this my way the other day. Talk about visual thinking It’s simple, but it makes you wonder why so many managers struggle with it.
For what it’s worth, I’ve used the same management philosophy for years.
- Inform: Provide your team member with all the information they need to make a smart decision.
- Recommend: Let your team member know how you’d handle the situation.
- Empower: The ball is in their court. They have the info. They know how you’d handle it.
- Support: Obviously course correct if things are heading for a train wreck. But, assuming they aren’t support their decision.
- Review: Take a look back at the decision that was made, coach them on what could have been done differently and praise them on what they did well.
It’s not crazy. But, it’s been really effective.